Earlier this year, MARC began work with area aviation partners, regional stakeholders and a consultant team to develop the Kansas City Regional Aviation System Plan, which evaluates various aspects of public-use general aviation airports in the Kansas City region, documenting how businesses, residents and others in various communities use these airports
The plan will include strategies to enhance compatibility, sustainability and accessibility at 14 airports in nine counties.
K34 — Gardner Municipal
OJC — Johnson County Executive
IXD — New Century AirCenter
FLV — Sherman Army Airfield
K81 — Miami County Regional
LRY — Lawrence Smith Memorial
GPH — Midwest National Air Center
0N0 — Roosterville
3GV — East Kansas City (Grain Valley)
LXT — Lee’s Summit Municipal
MKC — Downtown Charles B. Wheeler
MCI — Kansas City International
06M — Noah’s Ark
3EX — Excelsior Springs Memorial
The planning team visited all of the study airports and reviewed existing facilities. The team also gathered input through a public survey and an open house at the MARC Conference Center. The plan will be completed later this year and will address these specific objectives:
- Develop a system evaluation process that can be update in future planning cycles.
- Highlight the uses and benefits associated with system airports.
- Provide added value for study airports along with a customized implementation toolkit.
- Strengthen MARC’s ability to serve as facilitator and communicator with airports.
- Bridge regional airport priorities with Kansas and Missouri state system plans.
More information is available online.
Email: Jim Hubbell, email@example.com